Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000
Finding the best mountain bikes under $1000 at your local bike shop may have your salesperson looking surprised at you. They will advise you if you want, a top of the line bicycle for hard trail cycling the likeliness is you will pay double that amount. You can believe him and look at their proposals or you can view our mountain bike reviews here with highly recommended bicycles for less than $1000.
The fact remains you can find a good mountain bike for less than a 1,000 USD. Each of these Hardtails will give you value for your money, excellent handling, a good ride a superb spec. Here you can find a selection of Full Suspension mountain bikes to suit your budget and needs.
Reviews of the Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000
There is no need of spending over 2,000 bucks for a trail slayer; here we have the top 5 best mountain bikes under 1000 that can handle any type of terrain. Therefore, what can you expect from the Hardtails listed here: made from durable aluminum making them lightweight with full suspension and mid to lower lever parts.
Who said you couldn’t find an entry-level mountain bike in the Diamondback brand. The Bicycle Hook is an alloy Hardtail with a modern low yet long frame with a 5-inch travel fork. You can ride this bicycle with force and hard. This package has all the mountain bike trends from the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes, a stem &bar, 27.5-inch wide SL-7 Double tires and a SRAM drive chain.
Choose your desirable size as the Hardtails available in different size options 16-inch (Small), 18-inch (Medium), 20-inch (Large) and 22-inch (X-Large.) The mountain bike is lightweight and fun to ride while maintaining the efficient power for transition and precision when riding different trails.
- The Diamondback Hook has a 6061-T6 butted alloy frame with 1 ⅛-inch head tube, down tube, formed tube and integrated disc brake
- The fork is an SR Suntour XCM 120mm travel with 30mm Stanchions, and Coil Spring with Preload Adjust
- There is an FSA IS-3 Number 11 integrated style headset
- The crankcase consist of an alloy arm with a 32T steel single ring and the bottom bracket has a sealed cartridge
- The front derailleur is a SRAM X3 8-speed and the rear one a SRAM X4 8-speed
- There is a SRAM PG820 eight-speed Cogset while the chain is a KMC Z82 eight-speed
- The front hubs fitted with 32h SL-7 Alloy with CNC disc mount and the rear one has a 32h SL-7 alloy with CNC disc mount and cassette
- There are 14g stainless steel spokes and the rims are 32h Diamondback SL-7 double wall
- The mountain bikes fitted with Kenda Nevegal Lite 27.5-inch tires and Tektro Aries Mechanical disc with 160mm rotor brakes
- Some other standouts on the Hardtail is the Tektro 2 finger adjustable brake levers, DB4L Pedals, Diamondback 750mm wide handlebar and Kraton grips
- For comfort, it has a DB Sync Saddle and Alloy Micro-Adjust Seatpost
- Included with your purchase you receive the assembly guide, owner’s manual and tool kit
- Great Hardtail for teens
- The bike has a durable design
- Have a choice of buying the mountain bike with professional assembly
- The grips are good when used with or without gloves
- Gives comfort and speed
- The saddle is a torture to sit on and can be upgraded
Diamondback Overdrive 29
For one of the best mountain bikes under 1000, the Overdrive 29 is a classic Hardtail for cross-country cycling. The bicycle has an aluminum frame with butted and formed tubes. This lightweight Hardtail is very responsive while out cycling. Further, it has 27.5-inch wheels to use on any type of surface. With the Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, drive chain and SR Suntour fork you get the best performance out of this bike.
With the 29 Overdrive, you get more traction, speed, larger wheels with a precise control and feel. The mountain bikes available in different sizes and ready to ride and only needs you to put on the pedals, seat, and front wheel.
- The Overdrive 29 has an aluminum 6061-T6 alloy frame with custom formed butted tubing for the best balance
- The fork is SR Suntour XCT measuring 27.5-inches while the FSA IS-3 number 11 headset is an integrated style
- The cranks are Shimano Deore M617 and the bottom bracket has a Shimano Outboard Bearing
- Further, the front and rear derailleur consist of Shimano Tourney and Acera 8-speed ones
- Another standout is the KMCZ82 chain with 32h SL-7 alloy with CNC disc mount front hub and rear hub
- There are 14g stainless steel spokes and has Doublewall rims with Chaoyang Hornet 27.5 by 2.1-inch tires
- To make sure you break in time there are Tektro Aries Mechanical 160mm rotor brakes with Shimano EF-51 brake levers
- To handle the Hardtail you DB Laser series 680mm wide handlebars with DB4L 135mm Kraton grips
- For ease of pedaling Diamondback has used DB4L Resin Platform pedals and a DB Race M-Series saddle
- Included with your purchase you receive the assembly guide, the tool kit and owner’s manual
- Great entry-level mountain bike
- The breaks are top notch
- Low-end power is great
- Ready to ride out of the box with a couple of installations from the pedal, wheels to the seat
- A solid ride
- Not a comfortable seat and can replace it out with a better one
The Big Mountain Bike by SE
When you’re ready for action the SE Big Mountain Bike is an Enduro-styled bike. Get fit on this bike with its cardio fitness features for climbing steep hills to riding on flat surfaces. The frames constructed of lightweight aluminum while the Suntour crankset and fork gives you value for money spent.
To get up the steepest hill you can rely on the Shimano 24-speed Drivetrain and to brake quickly the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes help. The tires on this Hardtail are WTB Nano and the bikes made for the big boys. Choose your size ranging from 15-inches, 17-inches, and 19-inches. The bikes available in a Satin Red color.
- The SE Big Mountain Bike has a 27.5-inch wheel with 24-speed Shimano rapid-fire shifters
- The front suspension fork is 100mm travel SR Suntour XCT ones while the 32 hole double wall alloy rims have alloy disc hubs
- Further, it has a superb brake system with Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotors and WTB Nano 27.5 x 2.1-inch tires
- The frames made of 6061 alloys and the Shimano Drivetrain gives you 24 gears to use on any type of terrain
- The cartridge is sealed and has a Shimano 11-30T eight-speed cassette
- There are a KMC eight-speed chain and SR Suntour XCC crankset
- The great thing about the frame is you receive an integrated headset, water bottle mounts, and expendable hanger
- Both the front and back derailleur are Shimano Acera
- For ease of grip, it has SE Kraton grips with an Ally 25mm rise handlebar and a Threadless 1-⅛-inch headset
- With the Resin Platform pedals, you can easily cycle up hills and has an SE MTB saddle with alloy two-bold micro-adjust seat post
- It also has Shimano Rapidfire Plus 24-speed shifters with a Weinmann 32H double-wall alloy rims and black spokes
- Easy to assemble
- Good entry-level bike
- Can upgrade the mountain bike components
- Does not include tools and best to have a set of Allen keys on hand
- The paint chips easily
Mongoose Salvo Sport Hardtail
The Mongoose Salvo Sport is one of the best mountain bikes you can buy less than 1000. The Salvo Sports ready for action and made with a lightweight frame. It has a unique design for all-day riding and ready to take on any trail with the 120 mm suspension. The head tubes tapered to give you the added steering stiffness without the need of increasing the weight of the bike. Choose from different sizes 15.5-inches (Small), 18-inch (Medium) and 19.5-inches (Large.) The Salvo is a 27.5-inch wheel.
- The Salvo Sports classified as a Trail and Cross Country mountain bike suitable for both men and women
- The frames made of aluminum and has a 120mm rear travel with SR Suntour XCM hydraulic lockout rear shock
- The fork is a DNM AO-42AR with a Xposure headset
- The stem is 3D forged and there is a Kore XCD-DB rise bar handlebar that is 720 mm wide with Lock-on grips
- For braking quickly the mountain bike has Shimano M-315 brakes with 160 mm rotors
- Further, it has Shimano SL-360 shifters, a Shimano FD-M311 front derailleur, and Shimano Acera M360 rear derailleur
- There are Shimano M361 cranks and 22/32/42T Chainring and for placing your feet it has Platform pedals
- The KMC Z72 chain is an eight-speed model with Shimano HG41 11-32T cassette
- The rims are tubeless-ready and have Xposure DB-T30 rims with Xposure QR disc 32H hubs with 14g stainless steel spokes
- The Mongoose has Airsun Mount Bora 27.5 x 2.1-inch tires with a Mongoose XC trail saddle and 27.2 x 350 mm seat post
- The build is solid
- Has a durable frame
- Reliable to use on any trail
- Great entry-level trail bike
- A bit unpredictable while you descend
Diamondback Recoil 29er with Full Suspension
When you look at a full suspension bike, you do not only find them in Superbikes you can find them in the best mountain bikes as well. The Diamondback Recoil 29er is one of those Hardtails. With the simple recoil pivot, design it delivers a smooth ride on any type of surface. Combined with the 29-inch wheels you have 4-inches of the front and rear suspension to take off the stress when riding through the holes and over rocks.
The frames constructed with aluminum tubing making it durable and lightweight to take on any terrain. Further, it has a Drivetrain, solid components, and disc brakes. You even have a choice of choosing your size 16-inch SM, 18-inch MD, and 20-inch LD.
- The Recoil 29er has a 6061 T-6 aluminum frame and uses formed top and down tubes with full suspension
- The SR Suntour XCT 29 Fork has a 100mm of travel with Tuff Shock Coil rear shock
- There is a sealed cartridge bottom bracket with Suntour XCC T202 crankset
- Further, the mountain bike has Shimano SL-M310 shifters with Shimano Altus front derailleur and Acera rear derailleur
- It has 24 gears with Shimano HG31 rear cogs and Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes with Tektro alloy brake levers
- They used Weinmann SL-7 rims with SL-7 32h alloy front and rear hubs on the bike
- The wheel size is 29-inches and fitted with WTB Wolverine tires and can change
- The handlebar has a riser bar shape with a DB AL6061 stem and WTB Volt Sport SE saddle
- The pedals are DB Sound alloy with a Zero Stack headset and KMC-Z82 chain
- Can adjust the seat
- Gives you a smooth ride
- Look great
- The handlebar controls perfectly
- The gearbox is positioned well
- The instructions to assemble the bike is difficult to understand
If you are still undecided to cross-country cycling choosing the best mountain bike under $1000 is a great choice. However, if you plan to take the sports seriously in making a long-term commitment you may need to stretch your budget. The models available here can handle pretty much any trail and as you can see, you can even buy one with a full suspension for less than 1,000 bucks. The majority of the components found on these Hardtails you can easily swap out later for more top of the range ones. However, when it comes to durability and performance nothing